10
Mon, Dec
53 New Articles

National
Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

National Labour Congress (NLC) had secured tremendous support in its resolve to embark on a nationwide strike from today Tuesday, November 6, as the Medical and Health Workers' Union of Nigeria (MHWUN) lent its backing to the congress's cause.

National Labour Congress (NLC) had secured tremendous support in its resolve to embark on a nationwide strike from today Tuesday, November 6, as the Medical and Health Workers' Union of Nigeria (MHWUN) lent its backing to the congress's cause.


President of MHWUN, Comrade Biobelemoye Josiah, has ordered its members to shut down operations from midnight of yesterday Monday, November 5, saying that it will join the proposed strike by the National Labour Congress (NLC) and the organized labour, November 6 and proceed on an indefinite strike. Meanwhile, it was gathered that the NLC had announced the commencement of strike today Tuesday after the government refused to accept the N30,000 new minimum wage proposal.
Speaking with newsmen in Abuja, the president of MHWUN, Comrade Biobelemoye Josiah, said the federal government should be held responsible for any hardship that may occur as a result of the strike. Josiah said: “You may recall our National Body, the Nigeria Labour Congress and the organised labour have called on all workers in Nigeria to gear up for an indefinite nationwide strike which will commence Mid-night today”. "This is as a result of the Government's failure to implement the constitutional requirement of the upward review of the national minimum wage which is long overdue." He explained that the tripartite agreement which arrived at the N30, 000.00 minimum wage increments has been put aside by the federal government.
Josiah alleged that it seems there was no will on the part of the government to review and implement the legitimate demands of the workers. MHWUN's president added: “We call on all our members nationwide to remain resolute and be committed to the effective and orderly implementation of the nation-wide strike commencing tomorrow except the government has a change of heart before then. The government should be held responsible for the economic and socio hardship that might occur during the strike which ab-initio should have been avoided if the right thing had been done. “It's very obvious that the N18,000.00 National Minimum wage is no longer feasible and it is a trivialization of a living wage. “Therefore we call on the government to increase the minimum wage to N30,000 which is a compromise figure agreed by the government and labour and we also call on the Nigerian workers to stand firm and be resolute in the struggle until success is achieved.”
Story has it that Governor Atiku Bagudu of Kebbi had called on the NLC and its affiliate unions to shelve its scheduled strike in the interest of the masses. The governor made this call in a statement signed by his chief press secretary, Alhaji Abubakar Dakingari, in Birnin Kebbi on Monday, November 5. He urged the workers to await the report of the tripartite committee on minimum wage and President Muhammadu Buhari's decision on the wage increase.

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS
Sign up via our free email subscription service to receive notifications when new information is available.